View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrabowMST View Post
if you're that set on going with Apple, you better be really good with computers, or made of money.
I'm not sure if that is any different than it is with any PC. Or a car. In my experience warranty issues have been quite a bit easier with Apple than with Acer or other PC brands.

About your story, Apple store workers and repairsmen are people as any of us, so I wouldn't expect them to make notably less mistakes than a PC shop. The difference seems to be when the mistakes are addressed. While Apple tries to keep the customer satisfied, a PC shop might put up a fight.

Sadly, Apple is a commercial company, and they are doing good business. Since consumers consider their products worth the price, Apple has no reason dropping the prices. For me the OS alone is easily worth the extra cost, so saying "there are better deals than a Mac" is only a generalisation drawn from your own opinion.

A used Mac can be a great deal, and will run Reaper nicely.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
I've built a few PCs & have sorted out most problems with my PCs myself so do you think maybe with a some online guides I could probably do a bit of tinkering myself if I have to repair a macbook?
Absolutely. My friend replaced the display on his MacBook, following only guidelines from the internet. And I tore down my iPhone to pieces to clean up the stuffed speaker grille. The guides are out there.