View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #71
rictheobscene
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmalmberg View Post
I just picked up a Focusrite Scarlet 8i6. Have only put down a few line-in tracks so far but no problems getting it going with Reaper on a new Dell Precision laptop. First time with Reaper as well...

I'm not a pro so maybe I just don't get it but what is up with calling something like this an 8-in 6-out box? To me it's 4-in 4-out, because I would consider io channels to be DA's and AD's. An SPDIF in is already digital, and an SPDIF out doesn't get you back out into the real world of something you can hear. And counting the "loop-back" tracks as channels really seems like a stretch. Do all the manufacturers refer to input and output channels as anything that has a plug? What about the midi channels, why not add them, or the USB port? Seems lame to me.
At the end of the day, I think the In / Out nomenclature refers to the number of channels it makes available to the mixer application. There is no real clear cut standard, so that makes it a bit murky.

I am not saying that I agree with the way it is being done; rather, I am just trying to shed a little light on how they tend to do this.
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote