View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #27
w00t
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOne View Post
How does Linux performance using Wine compare to native XP performance in Reaper? Will I be able to monitor in real-time at low latencies as efficiently as in Windows?

audio wise, its right on par. it performs very well as asio in windows and in some cases the latency is much lower. However with that said, due to its nature, its more of a strain on the cpu because of the wine having to be an extra layer of instruction to be interpreted. the sympotms usually are slower gui, and slower gui redraw. (if you have trouble with the gui, usually minimizing then restoring the window will fix it)...never anything much more than that. remember to NOT use compiz when doing huge projects to conserve all cpu, and remember in winecfg to uncheck "let linux decorate the WINE windows"....this should maximise performance.

you can experiment and i encourage it, ultimately different settings will be picked in different scenarios. some have even reported that running a fixed virtual desktop in WINE for REAPER makes it work a lot better, although i havent tested that theory much.

the best thing to do is try it! i dont have concrete science on the performance, but its really good and i wouldnt have slave over the guide if i felt nobody could enjoy it! i get good performance, and im on a pentium 4 3ghz box! thats aging, so anything better and it will probably be better.
w00t is offline   Reply With Quote