View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argle View Post
I don't think you could tell the difference in any modern production. I mean, have you ever listened to a track and thought "Ah! Amp sim. So obvious."
I was just thinking the same thing!

...When you listen to a CD, you don't have a clue if a simulator was used or what simulator was used, or what guitar/pickup/amp/cabinet/pedals were used. (Unless you have some "inside information", such as an interview with the artist/producer or if you happen to know the guitarist's "standard setup".) Even then, you probably don't know what effects the mixing & mastering engineers used.

The guitar player might not even know what the mixing engineer & producer have done, because the guitar is often recorded "live" and direct, and who knows what's been done to that direct-track in post-production!

Here's my 2-cents (and I'm not a guitar player) - If you are are in-love with the sound you are getting from your real amp, and if you can use it... If you have a "good room" and you are not bothering you neighbours or your mom... You probably won't be happy with a sim, because you are never going to get that exact same sound that you love, with a simulator. And, you are probably going to play better (and have more fun!) if you can hear yourself through the real amp.

If there are reasons you can't use your amp (at a volume where it sounds good), you may not have a choice, and you might be "forced" to use a sim.

Or, if you are not totally happy with your setup, and you can't afford that Marshall Stack (or whatever) that you really want, you will probably be happier with a sim.

If you are more-focused on the music and less concerned with the exact "tone", a sim should be acceptable. For example, a pro studio-musician might not be too concerned with the tone/character of the sound, as long as the producer is happy and his part doesn't sound "bad".

If you want to double-track or triple-track, and you want to use a different set-up each time, or if you want a different setup on different tracks/ songs, it's more economical & practical to own lots of sims than to own several amp/cabinet combinations.

And, it's a lot easier to try-out lots of different sims, than to go a music store and try-out a bunch of different amps/cabs. If you've got a computer-full of sims, you can try-out (and use) a new setup anytime, day-or-night.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 04-24-2012 at 01:46 PM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote