View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #30
Judders
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
Digital EQs don't sound different. It's the GUI you're paying for (which, IMO, Fabfilter is the absolute king of).

Obviously linear phase is different and ReaEQ doesn't have this. FWIW, it's not standard practice to use linear phase EQs even in big studios.

The only time an EQ sounds different is if it's emulating the distortion of a hardware unit.

I remember some article where a guy nulled various EQs with a standard one. Might even have been ReaEQ.
That's not true.

Different filters sound different, and affect phase differently (something that would only be audible when dealing with multiple sources), also de-cramping around Nyquist is handled in a variety of ways.

Here's an article about digital equalizers: https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/201...alizers-draft/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
And it's only a very recent digital only development afaik. When analog studios were the norm no one used them!
Yup. Linear phase is a digital only deal.

I can't actually remember the last time I used a linear phase EQ. I used to use them in parallel processing, but I don't even bother with that any more. I guess if I was using parallel processing in mastering I might.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote