View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #21
Tod
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
At the end of the day, there's just no way to decouple distortion from noise. Gates, expanders and good ol' fashioned editing are your weapons of choice unless you can live with the compromise of messing with your tone by using ReaFIR.
Hi Judders, I'm sure you have a reason for saying this, but really and truly I have never had a problem with ReaFIR.

I think the most important thing about ReaFIR is that it needs to be set up properly, every time you use it. For example, make sure you're just getting the noise floor when you set up the Subtract Mode.

Also make sure you uncheck the "Automatically build noise profile" when you're done calibrating the subtract frequencies.

The absolute most important thing, is that your testing the actual noise you want to eliminate. If you set it up using anything other than the noise, then that's probably going to mess things up. It's very easy to miss other sounds an frequencies in the section you're analysing.

ReaFIR is a great tool, but until you understand it's characteristics, as well as when and when not to use it, you might not get along nice with it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote