View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
fladd
Human being with feelings

Default Advice for audio interface upgrade?

Hi everyone,

a couple of years ago, I was thinking about adding an analogue mixer in front of my Scarlett 2i2, so I could select from which source I want to record (see this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=145374). I did not buy a mixer, and I still have that 2i2.

But now it is time to upgrade, such that I can have all my input devices connected simultaneously (an SE X1 mic, a Shure SM-58 mic, a JD-Xi synth, a Novation Circuit groovebox, and a Roland TD-9 electronic drum kit).

I realise that the perfect interface for my situation does not exist. However, the one that comes closest is probably the Clarett 4pre. It has dedicated line inputs, and I could upgrade by adding an ADAT inerface (such as the ADA8200). Unfortunately, I don't have a Thunderbolt port.

The corresponding Scarlett 18i8 is also pretty close, but it has only a single stereo output, which means if I ever wanted to add external effect units, I would need to upgrade the interface again. The other concern is audio quality. I read a lot of different opinions on the Scarletts, ranging from "they are great" to "they have the worst preamps ever", and everything in between.

The usual suggestion is to look at the Audient USB interfaces (ID14, ID22). They are supposed to be much better in audio quality. Unfortunately, they only have 2 inputs each, so I would need to get an ADAT interface right away. I also read concerns about driver issues (i.e. bad latencies, unstable, etc.). The Scarlett has always been great in terms of drivers (unlike the EMU Tracker Pre I had before that).

Then there is of course MOTU (the Ultralite MK4 looks nice), and RME, but they are in a different price league.

So I was hoping for some suggestions from you more experienced guys. Also keeping in mind the rest of my gear (i.e. the mics I mentioned above, as well as my Tannoy Reveal 601a monitor speakers). Is my equipment even capable to benefit from an audio interface that is marginally better than a Scarlett?

Really looking forward for some of your opinions!