View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #17
Snap
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
I have to disagree wholeheartedly: All desktops/laptops in my own company are running Mint KDE without any problems, regardless of what hardware it's on. There are non-geek people there that use it every day without problems as well. Besides that, my servers are virtualized on Proxmox (Debian-based) and are running Xubuntu. All incredibly stable (much more so then you will ever attain with a windows-based setup).

I agree that there are many half-baked distros because everyone who wants it can roll their own. However, for the last year there are several very functional, stable distros available that are keeping pace with developing hardware pretty well.

Yes, you need to know a fair bit of IT to run a company network on linux distros... but so you do as well when using windows in that regard
Same here. Mint KDE is my Desktop. But about to hop to SolydK. I've tried many and this Debian fork is the only non Ubuntu KDE distro that matches Mint in features, performance and stability. There are other great ones based in Debian or not. I bloodly love CrunchBang.

Quote:
Linux will always be a CLI server OS for me
As CLI as MS/DOS. But desktops as good as Win or Mac are currently available in Linux. I agree too many distros out there, but thankfully a nice bunch of them are real alternatives. Just spot and try them.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote