View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #109
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
One of the first apps I added to my smartphone was a better file manager. So I know what you mean...
VLC on the iPhone will at least let me do WiFi transfers like I used to do on the Blackberry, but everything gets dropped into the VLC folder, where unless it was a video file I have to move the file using the iPhone afterward.

Quote:
Yeah, the "double-extension" trick. It fooled so many people, even though they should've been suspicious that their JPG files suddenly showed a .JPG "extension" for only one or two of them when the rest of their pics folder had no such "extensions". Shaking my head.
The first thing I do with a fresh install of Windows or Linux is to disable the hiding of anything. I'd rather see a messy list of stuff that shows me everything that is really there, than a neat one that doesn't.

Quote:
And despite how many times I'd warned people to use Firefox (and later Chrome) with AdBlock and script blockers (NOT Internet Explorer!!!), effectively holding their hands as I showed them how easy it was, I'd inevitably get phone calls to come help them with their computers "because the Internet told me I needed to install a virus scanner, and I gave them my credit card number, but the virus only got worse!" Ugh. The Internet told you that you had a virus. Sigh. Call your bank and cancel your credit card right now lol.
The last year I worked before retiring early my boss decided to bring his daughter in to help him with the office management. The very first day she was there I'm in my office and I hear "UH OH" from her's, so I go in there and she has a screen full of windows popping up faster than you can shut them down. I asked her what she did and she told me some page she was on told her to update Flash, so she clicked on it. I had to do a factory recover on her machine, and then I locked that sucker down with NoScript and a HOSTS file, which my boss had neglected to do when he set her a machine up.

Quote:
I feel the same way about Windows 10. It crossed a few lines for me. I kept using Windows 7 right up until the bitter end. And yes although there were updates for Spectre and Meltdown, when I ran InSpectre to verify they'd been done (after a firmware update from my mainboard manufacturer), the author of InSpectre was sure to include in the report how despite the fact the patches were done, one of the two patches was half-assed for Windows 7 and it would in fact affect my system performance (going on for a bit about how it should be possible to do this patch properly in Windows 7, but "it remains to be seen if Microsoft will do this" lol). That was the last straw.
Steve Gibson's InSpectre looks at registry keys and doesn't tell you the truth when you run it in WINE. My mobo is old enough that Asus won't be patching for Spectre in the BIOS, so I have to have an OS that addresses it. Microsoft pretty much lost me when they kept trying to cram Windows 10 down my throat. I'd uninstall the KB that put the GWX (Get Windows 10) crap on my machine, and then tell it to never install it again, and a week later M$ would sneak it back on my machine, hoping I wouldn't notice. It felt like a brute force attack and made me go pro active against them. So glad Windows is in my rear view mirror now.

Quote:
I'm happy so far with MX Linux. I'd already switched apps a while ago (sometimes just coincidentally) to ones which were available for both Linux and Windows, and the odd few exceptions have been easy to substitute. I had to get a new controller board for my laser engraver but that wasn't expensive, and now I get to use Inkscape with it, yay!
Laser engraver for circuit boards? I've been weeding through the Windows apps I'm running in WINE and replacing them with native Linux equivalents. I'm down to only about three now excluding Windows plugins for REAPER. I have my Windows programming language that I wrote my stock ticker in, a programming editor which I can probably replace but just haven't yet, and <drum roll> Winamp v2.80 from April 23 2002, which I believe was the absolute last one before it got AOLized. Winamp is still my favorite MP3/Wav player.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote