View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #91
Allspice
Human being with feelings

Totally with you both. Thanks for continuing to bring this up, as I'm dealing with similar issues in my recent projects since there's more automation during composition than usual for me. The marquee/time selection mouse modifier and "Copy items/tracks/envelope points within time selection, if any" is usable, but has a lot of bugs with automation.

Hopefully if we keep documenting each individual piece of bad behavior (rather than the tempting "it all doesn't work") and propose alternatives it will get sorted out.

For example, the big problems I've noticed here are both missing features and bugs:

- There should be a mouse modifier for "Marquee select items/envelope points" for all this to work, no?

- Native action "Duplicate selected area of items" behaves in a counter-intuitive fashion when "Marquee select items and time" is used. It seems user preference would be to account for any automation inside the marquee. This could possibly be handled by two new actions, hopefully without the current Smart Copy bug where it leaves behind unfocused automation points without an item.

- "Duplicate selected area of items/envelope points"
- "Select all items/envelope points within time selection"

It's hard to say if users would want that as the default factory behavior,
but some people definitely expect an option for that.

- Native action "Copy items/tracks/envelope points within time selection, if any" ignores envelope points and Automation Items that are not associated with an item if the envelope lane is not in focus. This is the default CMD + Shift + C action and it should be the "area selection" action, once it works, from what I can tell. This is more of a bug than an FR, from what I can tell.

Last edited by Allspice; 01-31-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote