View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
What was in my mind was that I was wondering if I should have my tracks this way:

Track 1. RAW vocal track (sent to track 2)
Track 2. Contains EQ and Compressor (sent to track 3)
Track 3. Contains REVERB

This way the RAW vocal track stays intact and can then I could start over if I want to totally scrub what I did with all three EQ, Compressor and REVERB and start all over.

Does anyone think this strategy is overkill?
This is actually one of my goto parallel processing workflows!
For example, if I decided a track needed more high end content vs the rest. Instead of boosting with an eq, I make a parallel duplicate track and use a high pass to isolate the range I thought was too low. Then mix between the untouched original and the 'boost' track. Note: Using linear phase eq and minding plugin PDC is critical critical critical for parallel processing work!
I also add compression into the mix for any 'layer' I decide needs it.

This is like working with layers. You keep the reference 'layer' static (the raw track) and work the addition to the sound. The pros is this gives you that static reference for mix elements when that makes sense to you. The cons are extra screwing around.

If this kind of 'layers' thinking workflow speaks to you, you can do a lot with it and keep your sanity with your 'reference layers'. It can feel like cheating! I would not recommend this approach for beginners though! Get basic eq and compression moves under control first. Dealing with phase issues or chasing PDC for parallel workflow could sink you if it got away from you.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote