View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
grab
Human being with feelings

You're misunderstanding what I meant about Dvorak. The similarity is almost exact.

1) Way back, people had to decide how to type in English.
2) After some time, QWERTY became the standard keyboard layout (because at the time, it stopped mechanical typewriters from jamming).
3) Once there was no longer a problem with typewriters jamming, there are other ways of laying out a keyboard which might give advantages for typists working in English.
4) But because everyone already knew how to use QWERTY keyboards (and could type very fast on them already), there was no strong reason for anyone to change.

Now look at Janko.

1) Way back, people had to decide how to lay out a musical keyboard.
2) The standard piano keyboard is the easiest way to link keys to a "harp" frame with strings on it, so all keyboards used it.
3) When metalwork and manufacturing improved, and especially when electronics started, other piano layouts (Janko for one; there are others) became possible.
4) But anyone playing keyboards already knows how to use an existing keyboard layout, and they can already play them very fast, so there is no strong reason for anyone to change.

You say that the Janko layout is easier. In fact it's going to be harder in a lot of cases - in particular, it becomes *much* harder for beginners, who on a normal piano can start playing in C without using black notes. Sure, changing keys becomes easier, but how often does a classical musician say "Oh, let's play Moonlight Sonata in D minor instead of C# minor"? And fingering on a Janko keyboard is only the same if you move by one whole tone; if you move a semitone, up becomes down and down becomes up, which would be confusing! (Or you could make the software transpose, but then you can do that on a normal keyboard too.) Like many things, the new alternative has as many disadvantages as advantages.

As regards using a PC keyboard for playing notes, this is old, old, old. When I was a lot younger, playing with my Commodore C-16, there were program listings to let you do this. People still aren't using it.

The important part of your last post is "Every new idea
DISPLACING THE OLD CLAIMS..." (capitals added by me). I haven't seen the piano keyboard's design slowing down any of the pianists I go to see, or even any of the synth players. In other words, Janko's design didn't displace the piano keyboard when he was alive, and it's unlikely to do it now. As you say, "The reason is the same and is about to what the customer and mind is used to!"

It doesn't mean that someone who likes Janko's ideas can't go and do this themselves. In Open Source software, we have utilities to convert our time and date into the Mayan calendar, for example! So if someone wants to do it themselves, it may well happen. But usually this is because someone thinks it's worth doing and writes the code themselves. It's rare that one person asks for a new program and someone else writes it for them.

Last edited by grab; 08-19-2008 at 04:12 PM.
grab is offline   Reply With Quote