View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #38
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
The ability to do that would've convinced me Amiga was the best computer and I'd have bought one of those instead of my first PC. Although I held out for a while before getting a PC. As soon as I realized PCs could do things that I valued as much as, or more than standalone hardware, I was in; that was around 1996. Recording audio and MIDI data was a big factor. Also I stubbornly decided to buy components and build my first PC, install the OS, make my own dial-up connections, etc. since I figured if I were going to be maintaining the PC (and others in the future), I might as well have some idea what the things are and how they need to work. I don't regret that decision.

My performance gain from Windows to Linux may have been limited to that one computer for a reason of which I'm unaware. Still it's nice to know I'm not sacrificing performance or stability by using Linux.
I got hired to do programming, tech support, hardware integration, and other stuff all dealing with MSDOS after my band broke up in the late 80s, but I didn't yet have anything that could run MSDOS so that was when I put a PC on a card in my Amiga. I had taught myself programming and was writing midi code for my own synths while playing in the band.

Shortly after I decided to do it right, I should have a real PC that only ran MSDOS so I built my first one from parts I bought locally. Once I realized how easy it was to build a machine, I kept upgrading more than once a year, plus my boss had me building all the PCs for our offices, and now I've built 30 or 40 machines over the years. I kind of stopped once PCs were no longer getting to be dogs with the tasks I was throwing at them, and the only reason I'm going to build an AMD 3700X soon is because every one of my Intels has this shit . . .

l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT disabled
mds:Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT disabled
meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
spectre_v1:Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling

VS the one AMD in the house which reads like this.

l1tf:Not affected
mds:Not affected
meltdown:Not affected
spec_store_bypass:Not affected
spectre_v1:Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling

Four "Not affected" items with an AMD vs four exclusively Intel only "Affected" entries.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote