View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #90
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default DE... a personal thing... personal decision. Human bean w/sprouts

Some confusion might arise from definition when talking of Desktop Environments. So, to clear up... A "DE" desktop environment or 'desktop' is a default interface (GUI) provided by virtually all modern operating systems, including Windows, Linux, Mac and more. This type of interface was developed to replace the command-line interface.
KDE is very close to Cinnamon; using a little different visual effect/under-the-hood toolkits (qt/gtk). Most OS that use one; can usually replaced by the other.
It seems some DESKTOP ENVIRONMENTS are more critically tied to the OS or Kernel or other things.
But - now it is very easy to put DE on a OS distribution that never had that DE. Such as Fedora with CINNAMON DE.
My main concern is how stable and powerful and intuitive the DE is for my hardware, my OS, my sound card, my interface and on and on. Thats is why sometimes it is difficult to choose - so many variables. What works great for me might not work great for you. I am longtime AMD fanboy cuz i cud switch out CPUS RAM etc. So I am very familiar and comfortable with Cinnamon and Mint OS. (there are so many forks or branch offs in GNOME alone. I believe KDE is Gnome 2 fork, Cinnamon lil later like Gnome 2 - 3. Gee I even hate even shutting down a PC... {WIN shellshock!} I want a system I can pull the power plug or just hit the PSU off switch. And when I reboot it goes right back to where I pulled the plug. Plus I do not have to worry about power outages or cat jumping on the keyboard. I even hate dual booting different OSs in bios. I want to hit a sata switch and either have Windows OSX or any LINUX OS in an instant on separate hard drives. And I want to take any hard drive and plug it into ANY of my Computers (Old bios PC, AM3+ PC or new UEFI PC or whatever)... and when I hit power button I get Mint, Fedora or Win with absolute confidence.
Great Hunting... Back a few years when I used old linux audio system, they always lacked a major component IMO. Now there is nothing lacking in Linux Audio. I have had little complaints about ARDOUR DAW - hard part of my learning was small amount usable info on net. NOW when I compare it to REAPER. What a homerun! 64 bit computations on a Lead Vocal (the definition and quality). I can't wait to finish my last Ardour project and base the next song in Reaper. Ardour will always have a place in my heart: a free DAW that can make a PRO SONG. I can see with Reaper I could probably do it 10 times quicker and easily. Heck the old 3M digital back in 1980 cost over a million dollars. (think of Chris Cross album 'Sailing') or 1975ish Gordon Lightfoots 'Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'. Reaper Is far more Powerful than what they used to record any of those early digital musics. AND you can run it on a free thrown away PC. Amazing. I say when you are considering what DE just go for it! If you like KDE go for it... If you want Fedora OS port it... I live by the motto 'if money wasn't an issue what would i do...' I bless COCKOS for bridging the gap for all POOR ASPIRING ARTISTS in the world. They have given them (and me) a chance. If we fail its not because of the DAW. If we fail so what what a beautiful ride (huh smajjl) tc.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote