View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #26
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
A fair point. It's one I thought of when I realized there was a Reaper for Linux, that it wasn't just people using Reaper with Wine. Then I noticed there was an ARM build too. So clearly the development of Reaper isn't solely based on what makes the most money for the devs. I just wouldn't expect they'd want to go far off track effectively promising continual support for plugins to run in an OS they were never meant to, through changes to kernels and various not-totally-VST-compliant things that Windows VST devs do, and so on.
I always assumed that REAPER for Linux was born out of Justin's love of using Windows. What other OS lets you reboot to test something and then spend the next hour waiting around on all the updates to finish so you can get a turn at using your own computer?

Quote:
Yeah there are a lot of synth plugins available, but there's a lot of overlap. It's a really good time for synthwave folks who want to use Linux, I figure.

Yeah having LV2 support would be nice but I can live without it too. JSFX covers so much ground it's crazy. Speaking of which, have you tried the latest version of ReEQ?
I have not tried the EQ but my favorite delay plugin is Sonic Anomaly Leet Delay 2, which is a JSFX plugin.

Quote:
Or better yet, delete them permanently and install Linux on that computer while setting fire to your Windows install disk.
Hehe, I still have install CD/DVDs for Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/NT4/2000/2000 Advanced Server/ and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. They would make a real nice and stinky fire!

Quote:
No. This is from my anecdotal experience on 2 different computer systems, running various distros/kernels. So I don't speak for all scenarios, but it's remarkably solid and stable for me.

On that note Glen, I've tried the following distros so far (I might be missing one in this list):
  • MX Linux
  • Ubuntu
  • Kubuntu
  • Xubuntu
  • Linux Mint Cinnamon
  • Linux Mint Mate
  • Linux Mint XFCE (plus I tried all different WMs/compositors while using Nvidia and AMD GPU)
I'm currently using Xubuntu and that's probably where I'll stay. I have its compositor disabled, and installed Compton plus a thing to help edit its settings easily (plus I also edit the compton.conf file a bit). That video wonkiness I was describing is gone; it's smooth for everything other than videos which are just wonky themselves.
Maybe Cockos could bring the Linux version out of experimental status, but not officially say on which distro. Just list that James Peters has successfully run it the above list.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote