View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #33
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

I had considered an icon like that. I just didn't want any Windows references on my computer though. Not even to be spiteful, just that "I'd moved on".

It's so weird how my "Windows journey" was over the years. Windows 95 had some fairly serious bugs, Windows 98 was ok (basically a more stable Windows 95), XP was a bit better than 98 and then Windows 7 "finally got it right" overall. By the time I settled into using Windows 7 (since I didn't adopt it early), Windows 8 was about to be released. That turned a corner for me. Windows 10 further added things I didn't like to the point it seemed a bit hostile to me. Forced updates, dialogs which when you click the "X" might just take that as "ok" if MS really wants you to do something, using your computer to seed updates, Cortana, then how MS was trying to force Windows 7 users to accept Windows 10 on their machines (multiple times)...no thanks, that's enough Windows for me. I knew I could work around those things in Windows 10 since I'd worked around things in previous Windows versions (including registry hacks and so on), but I figured by this point Linux was probably viable for my needs and if I were going to switch to a new OS that I'd have to manage in some way, I'd rather manage the OS more in terms of customization and less "mitigation of things the OS is trying to force me to do".

Of course I'd also tried OSX in the meantime on a used Macbook I got. It was fine. If OSX were available to run on a non-Mac computer (without having to build a "hackintosh"), I may have switched to it. I wasn't about to buy a Mac for the sake of using it though.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote