View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
airon
Human being with feelings

I can think of a few things to do, but they may be impractical.

The limitation of one midi hardware out per track is one thing. I'm stacking tracks this way and have to arm something to keep this going.

This all points to Reaper distinct lack of midi feedback, i.e. you either write a control surface plugin or hack around like we are here today(thank you all the same). Quite a few DAWs use Javascript or Python to let users receive and send midi data.

We do have OSCII-bot but I find it very hard to understand. The SWS extension is easy to install and operate. OSCII-bot is not. Control scripts for Ableton Live are probably hard to create but easy to install. Maybe Bitwig does it well and some ideas can inspire something built in to Reaper.

Right now I need to:
  • Have one track with the Virtual Keyboard as an input, with monitoring activated, the track armed, and channel 4 on the VK selected.

• If one device is to be addressed, the MIDI HARDWARE SEND can be established on the same track.

• If more than one devices are to be addressed, a track for each device must be created with a MIDI HARDWARE SEND each that addresses each device in turn

• A script(Lua/EEL/Python/C++) must send a specific midi message to the Virtual Keyboard via the API function StuffMIDIMessage. One script per value change. All this so messages can be fired off by Reapers custom triggers such as keyboard shortcuts, midi notes/cc or OSC messages. There is no alternative that I know of.

Anyone have ideas on how to address this ? Is letting Reascripts send data directly to devices even possible with the current code base ? When I see what MPL, Eugen and LBO(to name a few) are doing in Lua/EEL, I'm wondering whether the limitation of keeping MIDI devices out of the hands of Reascripters is still justified and should at least be looked at for improvement.

I'd like to keep a LUA/EEL script running that simply reserves and is sent a couple of MIDI triggers when they happen and fires off some messages. I'd be able to hack together a load of stuff that way.

How about scripts being able to present trigger slots for assignment in the action list ? That way we don't have to write a script per thing we want to trigger.

And access to MIDI devices.

Last edited by airon; 01-18-2017 at 09:11 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote