View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Sure they are destructive operations, to an extent. You cannot expect noise shaping or dithering NOT to influence the singal in any way. Well at least you can disable them and use a different dither plugin if you really need it (and I'm going to argue that in a dense mix it's really not necessary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highdynamix View Post
And Resampling shouldnt alter the signal either, if you not downsample it over the old Samplingrate. Its a question of Precisement. its not Bit changement.
And you're wrong there. Both things you said change when resampling - the matter is to what extent, and this depends on the resampling algorithm that is used. Reaper uses sinc interpolation for higher quality modes. Sure there are better SRCs out there, and you're free to use them (I use SoX, myself, as it's free and great). It's not a bug - it's how the algorithm is. Use something else externally if you're not satisfied.

Yeah, we all know the infinitewave website. Note that Reaper's artifacts are at -150 dBFS or thereabouts. So, while SoX is more perfect, Reaper's is not bad at all. Also, Reaper's SRC doesn't mess with the phase at all, at the Extreme setting.

I still use SoX externally for critically important material, instead of Reaper's SRC, though. In any case, it is not a bug.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-12-2017 at 03:42 PM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote