View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #18
Xasman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Hey, I'd also like to see a notation editor in Reaper, but I presume it would be extremely hard, if not impossible, to top Sibelius or Finale for the task.
I wouldn't expect any notation editor in Reaper to "top Sibelius or Finale" (though that would be nice, of course ). Something along the lines of Logic's notation editor would be fine for my purposes. Sibelius and Finale don't compare to Reaper at being MIDI sequencers, but that doesn't matter either. Basically, as I said earlier, what's important to me is to have a notation angle on editing MIDI (in addition to the existing piano roll, drum and event editors) and being able to print/view instrumental parts directly in Reaper. It's a different emphasis.

Quote:
For that matter, I can't really say I have any objections to ReWiring already existing editor for that purpose, at least until Cockos adds one to Reaper.
Well, unfortunately at the moment there's no choice, but if you've ever worked with the notation editor in Logic I'd be surprised to hear you say that. It is SO much more convenient to just flip open notation in a DAW's MIDI editor - the two methods just don't compare (and this could quite possibly/probably be one of the main reasons Avid bought Sibelius; i.e. so they could build notation directly into ProTools)!

Quote:
I remember Schwa saying that notation editor is extremely low on their list of priorities, simply because of the work that's needed, and they are rather keen on getting the "ordinary" DAW functionalities up and running first. So, perhaps R5 or R6 would see initial sparks of a notation editor, but I doubt it would happen during R4 release cycle, that's highly unlikely.
Maybe not, but where in Airon's post does it specify that these FR's should only relate to R4 revisions? Surely, the more folks that want notation, the sooner it's likely to be implemented?

Interesting that you mention Schwa's comment. I'm surprised because I've never seen anything written here by any of the devs which specifically addresses notation in Reaper - it's quite possible I've missed it though. However, a quick search reveals nothing so would you mind providing a link directly to the post you mention so I can read it in full? Thanks.

Last edited by Xasman; 06-22-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote