View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #173
aeb2016
Human being with feelings

Default distortion

I'm finding it most difficult to search these fora. Probably I'm using the wrong keywords. I'm not a professional recording engineer. A lot of this stuff is baffling to me.

I was previously recording my voice with Garage Band and Audacity. I was having a lot of problems with clipping. These problems were of two sorts. The first was dynamic range. The second was high frequency clipping, which is particularly important to me as a soprano.

So I got what I think is a fairly decent mic (Audio-technica at2020) and recently downloaded Reaper on an evaluation basis.

I found that the recording is very nice when I am speaking, but when I sing there is still a lot of clipping/distortion. I thought the whole purpose of professional quality recording software was that I wouldn't have these limitations, that I could sing as loud or as high as I wanted, right into the mic, and I wouldn't get distortion.

I suppose there must be something I should adjust to fix this problem, but I don't know what. I tried searching both the documentation and this forum and did not find anything I could understand. I found something about bit depth, but no clue as to how to adjust it.

Last edited by aeb2016; 02-16-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: grammar
aeb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote