View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #10
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Its a very fast hybrid Xfce xubuntu. It has Jack and Alsa and Pulse. I have not gotten it to route to any other audio device except Pulse. I was just giving a heads up. I understand about latency and lag. I was trying to talk about running 2 or 3 DAWS on different platforms at the same time on the same PC. When you run a couple daws with different platforms simultaneously on xubuntu what is your latency? I will post more info when I have more time to test.
Launching both Linux and Windows version of REAPER at the same time doesn't change anything latency wise on my machine.

The Linux version still displays 1.4/2.9ms in the upper right corner of REAPER, and it shows 25/42ms on the Windows version, but I have never installed WineASIO because I never use the Windows version in Linux, and don't need low latency there.

I only installed REAPER for Windows for testing, but I never use it for making or mixing music. I might fire it up to see if a particular behavior is the same between platforms, but that's about the extent of it for the Windows version for me. All recording and mixing is done exclusively on the Linux version for me.

BTW, my install of Xubuntu has been tweaked for audio with higher user priorities and a low latency kernel, so my numbers aren't representative of how a stock install of Xubuntu will run REAPER.

For someone who hasn't yet got a working Linux system, and isn't familiar with Linux Modica might be an quick way for them to get started.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote