View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
Lucian
Human being with feelings

Although this Delta-66 system is a tank and it has paid for itself many times over. I find I use a mix of various saturation plugs as recordings can get sterile and I started thinking why build and use various track templates of vst simulations when hardware can fix it at the source. So no, nothing is necessarily broken and how it performs is my baseline now. I think I would get the biggest bang upgrading my preamps which lead me to want to investigate the Camden 500 series and I will run those into the Delta-66 and see how it sounds.

But then I was thinking about the future and I like components so I started looking at AD converters and it is a can of worms with choices. Prices vary a lot with hi-end stuff over $2K. I wouldn't think the gains/advantages would be that noticeable if at all and yet these companies are still in business. I am currently looking at the Resonessence Herus on the low end. It looks like I would need 2 to run stereo, but the cables for hookup suck. Still, opinions seem the sound is worth it. I am also looking at the Chord Electronics Mojo or the RME ADI-2 DAC, plus a couple others.

Next is how to get the data into the DAW. AES or ADAT seem the prevalent choices. This is where I meant I do not need preamps or converters as I would be using external hw for both. I guess the Delta-66 has S/PDIF ins and outs but here is where my brain hurts trying to guess how to hook this up and what card to use so it would work.

So I am not leery of making bad choices, if I buy a DAC and can't hear an improvement, I will then know but will still wonder why 2K+ dollar DACS sell. I do not have golden ears nor perfect pitch but I know how I like things to sound. I think the preamp upgrade will be noticable but was also looking for advice/opinions on external converters and then what card to use.

Last edited by Lucian; 04-10-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote