View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #29
cyrano
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I do something like this myself via Midi all the time.

Using midi via USB there are no speed problems at all.
I connect one local computer over a network to another remote computer. Doesn't matter if it is wireless, as it is resilient.

All audio I/O hardware is connected to the remote headless computer.

The control surface is connected to the local computer. That's the "control station". It controls RME's TotalMix and REAPER. But TotalMix can also be controlled from an ipad an REAPER even from anything with a decent browser. There's no need for REAPER on the control station. And there's a full screen sharing session if needed.

The control station might also be running the lights, via DMX, over another network, using the same control surface. But that's for later.

That's where MIDI problems start. Sending MIDI over network is worse than OSC, in my limited testing.

Quote:
But I feature many dropout problems when using OSC via WLAN .
You can do OSC over wireless without problems. But you really need a dedicated network and a router that understands the AV portion of QOS.

I'm not counting on using this live on wireless. That would be stupid. But at home, while testing, I use it over wireless. And yes, sometimes that will result in dropouts because I'm too far from the router, or something else on the network is pulling hard.

But, hey, I just figured that it would be interesting to be able to put CV in an audio channel. At least, if it's not much work on a coding level.