View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #17
Deltones
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
Also don't touch your panning before you do this! (you downmix to mono at the master buss instead) You want to try to make some eq, and dynamic adjustments while in mono. If you can get it to work in mono - it'll probably work even better in stereo. You may decide to change some panning after some critical mono listening - no real rules here, you just sort of have to develop your own thing. If you get really good at working this way, you might make a few panning decisions based just on how it works in mono. Playing with the pan knobs while in mono can really change the tone or feel of what you are hearing. I'm not at that point, I just use mono to help me work out things that are competing for the same space in a mix - without leaning on that stereo crutch to help me out.
James,

But the thing is, I had all my pan knobs at center when I made the mix in mono and was pretty happy with the result. It's when I switched to stereo to ajust my mix and pan my instruments, and some levels slightly, THEN went back to check the result in mono on one speaker that I was like huh? Didn't sound right anymore with the tracks panned to were they belonged in stereo when re-checking the mix in mono. Should I just ignore that?

That's why I asked if there was a different pan law needed when mixing in mono: To make sure that if you check your mix in stereo, or in mono with only one speaker, the levels will follow suit.
Deltones is offline   Reply With Quote