View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 12:27 AM   #1
Joshery
Human being with feelings

Default Routing Problems

New guy here! Let me know if there's a better spot to post this...

So I've recorded some stuff through a Scarlett 18i20 into Reaper on a Macbook with the latest OS. I want to use an FMR RNC to compress the main drum bus.

So, on the drum bus I added a hardware output, aside from the master send: out lines 3 and 4 on the Scarlett. So it's going into the RNC, and I can see gain reduction working on that little guy.
Then, I have the outputs on the RNC going back into mic lines 1 & 2 on the Scarlett (which doesn't have any 1/4" inputs other than the ones that double as mic inputs). I create a new track, which I hope to print, and who's inputs are mic lines 1 & 2. When I arm that track for recording, I have compressed audio coming through onto it.

However...

I can't hear the new compressed track alone. Because if I solo it or mute the source drum bus in any way, even when it's on pre-fader, I mute what's being fed into my new track so it's silent. And thus if I wanted to compress with the RNC I'd be blindly turning knobs then printing and hoping it was bearable.

What am I doing wrong?

(Yes, record monitoring is on, and no, ReaInsert has never worked properly for me.)
Joshery is offline   Reply With Quote