View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #54
Piszpan
Human being with feelings

Having the great opportunity to talk to the developer himself I'll explain what I consider an ultimate solution in this case:

I already have a Nektar Panorama P1 DAW controller - it works great, it can control mix, inserts, synths, it can also show current parameter values on its screen. User can map plugin parameters to its knobs, faders and button, there is also a large library of factory made maps. Etc., etc. - it is truly a great product.

However, I still want another controller, to be able to control two VST synths at the same time (one using Panorama, the other using this second MIDI controller). Most VST synths that I want to control have at least 40-60 parameters, so off-the-shelf solutions like Midimix or Launch Control XL just don't have enough knobs/faders. Launch Control XL has multiple templates (banks), but - as I mentioned in my earlier post - I would need to launch the "soft takeover reset" action manually every time I switch a template (to move to another set of 24 knobs + 8 faders).

Your solution for the Midimix (which, BTW, doesn't have knob banks natively) seems very interesting to me. It would be great, however, if:

- I can switch between knob banks (effectively having 3x24 of them) and the script takes care of resetting soft takeover (so the values don't jump);

- In instrument mode, you include the faders in banks, or at least dedicate them to control instrument, not mixer. They would be great for filter and amp ADSR's (and the ninth one for instrument output volume);

- In instrument mode, you also dedicate all the 16 buttons to instrument (and maybe make them arranged in 3 banks, just like the knobs?)

This scenario, at least in theory, would work great, although...

Two more buttons (available all the time) could serve to launch Reaper's actions: "Toggle show all floating windows" (to quickly open/close synth windows) and "SWS: Cycle focused window" (to cycle between them). The Midimix's Solo button could be used for this, but we still would need another one, and I'm not sure if the "Send All" button could be assigned any user command...

Last edited by Piszpan; 10-27-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Piszpan is offline   Reply With Quote