View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #102
Breeder
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone64 View Post
It seems that the old version of the toolbar that has the new soectral editing alt version is redundant with the toolbar above it which has the same buttons that the spectral buttons replace anyway.

EDIT: My wording is kinda confusing so here's a screenshot.

I also noticed that preferences and screensets are both in file AND view in the menu. Probably can make more space by removing it from one of them. The manual still refers to using the one in File.
Good catch, double toolbar buttons are to ease up mouse movement - when one uses a lot of mouse (and if you use draw tools, that is presumed), one wants to move it as less as possible and thus I've put the same toolbar on two opposite sides of screen. There are also same buttons in MIDI Editor too But I like your remark so I did change it for the next update.

Regarding the second observation - that is completely right. I tend to take breaks from music and I tend to forget stuff so that's why a lot of stuff is repeated everywhere. My brain will sometimes think options are in file and sometimes in view. All of this duplication is made so because one caveat of menus is that once you open any menu, if you clicked the wrong one, you will have to search the other. That can take precious time (small numbers law...1 second here, 1 second there...sounds small, but it messes with the flow - human brain loves to stay in flow) - and thus I simply decided to repeat things wherever possible and where it makes sense. So you really can do rapid editing without remembering what is where because I've tried to put everything everywhere. My formula is what I call "linguistic geometrical sorting" where I sort things by length (and then fix stuff with synonyms et...) so hopefully things are easy to find even if the amount of entries is huge. That registry trick to shorten menu display delay time makes all the difference.

REAPER ReWorked is all about ergonomics - I make music in one go, I don't have time to think. No stop signs! I want to use a DAW as a guitarist uses the guitar and my instrument is mouse and a small MIDI keyboard. Every decision I made is based on direct experience, nothing is accidental

How do I know I'm doing a good job? After years and years, I'm finally finishing songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone64 View Post
You should probably put download links AND premium content and donation links in the OP that work without your site as a backup in case there are people who can't access your site for whatever reason. ISPs are kinda shitty and love to block shit for no good reason and people who live in very restrictive countries will also have issues. Maybe place it in a spoiler with a "backup links" label to discourage its common use over use of the links that lead to your site.
EDIT2: FFS this forum has no spoiler blocks...
Yeah, I will have to think about this. I've been thinking about creating PayPal basket that opens download link for premium content, but the problem is, PayPal doesn't allow sending mails on purchases so if something gets messed up, people will get upset. I might look into some other system when I catch the time.

Last edited by Breeder; 12-12-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote