View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #221
nitsuj
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
I'll have to test it on my real audio PC, as here on another machine, I realized it was eating a bit too much CPU for my taste (around 3.5 to 4% with 4 bands).
It eats 0.3% with 0 bands and no spectrum displayed at all (so just a black window, and hidden anyway).
Funny fact, it eats more when the playback is stopped, in this case I easily reach 6 or 7% of CPU
I'm a little at the mercy of how JSFX is working with some things. With every filter band engaged I get about 1.2% CPU utilisation (2012 i7 Macbook Pro) in 'ANA' mode. It's true that when play is stopped it climbs a little - very odd behaviour. I will look into it at some point.

Quote:
Even with the window hidden it seems to eat quite much, and there is some latency as well. I guess this is inevitable with JSFX.
The latency is because you're in 'ANA' (Analog) mode where the filter shapes match closely their analog counterparts near Nyquist. The latency is due to oversampling.

If you change this to 'DIG' (Digital) then you'll have zero latency and performance will be twice as good BUT your filter shapes will cramp near Nyquist as do the ReaEQ ones. Much of the time this may not matter and I think there's still enough extras in ReEQ to make it a valid alternative to ReaEQ even in this mode.

When you toggle between 'ANA' and 'DIG' you'll have to offline and then online toggle ReEQ to force Reaper to recognise the changes in latency. There's an issue with JSFX where changes in PDC aren't recognised.

Hope that helps!
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote