View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #75
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
it's trivial to have a basket full of different kinds
of eggs.
I'm beginning to see that now. The last time I tried doing audio in Linux, I was quickly discouraged due to my audio device at the time not being well supported (probably just not supported, but I tried forcing it to work since information about it wasn't concrete either way). I blamed JACK along the way and I assumed WINE would be complicated.

Now I'm seeing it's faster than I realized to do thinks like change kernels, add/remove packages (and their dependencies, handled easier than I thought by Synaptic and/or MX Package Manager)...it may not be 100% foolproof but it's actually a lot more solid and tidy than I'd expected.

I'm fine using native Linux software/plugins. But if I weren't, I'd use WINE. Even if it adds some CPU strain, my system currently functions around 30% more efficiently in Reaper than it did using Windows 7, so I'm not concerned.

Even if some software were released now that I thought was a "killer app" and it were Windows-only, I'd not bother going back to Windows; I'd just get it working in WINE.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote