View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
Tiggerdyret
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
If I'm reading that correctly, you should be able to 'learn' any cc controls that you create in a js effect to your hardware controller, with the effect merely altering the outgoing value by +/- 1. So you would need to create a jsfx control per MIDI hardware control.

And since you wouldn't be able to present the jsfx controls as hardware controls to effects/hardware coming later in the chain (unless someone else knows of a method for doing that), your created jsfx would need the ability to convert incoming cc #'s to whatever cc #'s are being expected by effects/hardware.

So yea, I think I see the underlying problem now. Ideally, you would be able to create a jsfx that would present itself to Reaper as a hardware controller so that you could 'learn' any synth parameters to the controls of the jsfx. Is that right?
I don't know much about scripting or how Reaper works under the hood, but I don't think what I want to do is achievable with a JS plugin, because as I understand the Reaper midi chain looks like this:
Midi controller input > Midi controller output > JSFX (My plugin) > VST (EQ, comp, instrument) > midi learn relative mode (this is what I want to edit) > VST parameters.
So if I wanted to do this with a JSFX I'd probably have to code my own midi learn plugin. This would be a much harder task to program than what I am capable of or willing to invest in. It would also be more tedious to use as you'd have to add the fx to each instrument channel and maybe have to set it up multiple times.

On the other hand if I could get access to the Reaper's native midi learn code I think it would be as simple as copy pasting their script, change two numbers in that code and maybe script the menu layout. This is probably best suited as an entry in the Request forum.

Third option would be to make a Reascript, that could be used as a shortcut or a toolbar element and would change all relative mode output values for all midi learned parameters. This is probably the way to go.

I researched the subject a bit and realized I made a few errors on how relative mode works in my very first post. I think my last two posts or more correct, but the chain is based on assumption.

Last edited by Tiggerdyret; 07-14-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote