View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #13
Thonex
Human being with feelings

Hi there,

I record orchestral ensembles. I use Reaper for editing, but have not found a reliable workaround for pre-record during count-in.

Because of that, I have not really had the opportunity to dig deep into Reaper's Takes system in a real-life situation. I use Nuendo for Recording (have for the last few decades), but would love to integrate everything into Reaper.

I would love to know how you guys handle punching in with click at odd meters and tempos? Just use Pre-Roll with the previous measure's tempo and hope all players recalibrate to the new tempo perfectly? That's my primary issue.

To give you a better explanation of what I'm talking about, here is how I described it on another thread:

Quote:
One critical feature missing from Reaper for anyone doing orchestral (or any recordings where there are tempo changes) is the ability to pre-record during the Count-Off (NOT to be confused with Pre-Roll).

Currently, there is no way to record during the Count-Off to capture players who may come in early… or who may be playing a lead-in note or an anticipation. In reaper, you would have to have pre-roll engaged. The problem with pre-roll is if there is a different tempo in the previous measure, all the players will coming at the wrong tempo on the downbeat of the punch-in measure.

Nuendo/Cubase have a simple record buffer in seconds and using it in conjunction with a count-in solves all these issues.

Having done this for 20+ years… it’s clear to me this count-off pre-record amount should be in seconds or ms, NOT tempo based. The benefits are that each recording will have the same amount of pre-record no matter what meter or tempo and makes comping and editing in other DAWs as well as Reaper MUCH easier since all the recordings have the exact same amount of pre-record.

Last edited by Thonex; 10-24-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote