View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #2010
yep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoyoninja View Post
May I suggest just a simple clean up?

The thread is really usefull... I found it less than a year ago and it helped me quite a lot. This info is valuable and it would be a shame if it was wasted or hidden for such a small problem as off-topic posts.

Once its clean, it would be ok to lock and keep it sticked...

Yep would you be ok with that?
Mods, can it be done?
I'm totally okay with anyone re-using anything here. This is not my thread. I don't know the laws but I suspect the copyright belongs to Cockos.

It is hard for me to imagine a "cleanup" that wouldn't be uglier than the problem, so to speak. Who decides which posts are good and which are bad?

edit:

For my part, I have no interest in nor time for moderating a forum, much less a single tired old thread. This discussion does not and never did belong to me. I wrote the first post, and a lot of subsequent ones, but forum-discussions are intrinsically collaborative. The askers are at least as valuable as the answerers. The value of a forum is not to dictate answers but to provoke thought, and I am amazed, flattered, and impressed that my little rant set off such a high-quality discussion. There is lots more to discuss, but this particular discussion has long since gone to weeds, in my estimation.

My hope was originally to get across something like ten useful points per post, staggered in order of usefulness. Now it seems inverted, like ten posts per vague and rambling point. That's not a good thread. To me, it's not an interesting nor useful conversation to spend multiple pages on subjective trivialities, especially without any clear conclusions. I get tired and bored trying to listen to those conversations at a bar, never mind reading them on a computer screen.

To paraphrase someone, "talking about music is like dancing about architecture", or something like that. The most important aspects of music and the art of sound cannot be talked-though or debated, IMO. The discussion just spirals out of control and becomes nonsensical to me. A lot of people seem to like those discussions and debates, and I do not wish to inhibit them.

For my part, I have enjoyed talking about and discussing the technical practices and nitty-gritty of capturing and manipulating good sound. I love that stuff. But even my own posts have become increasingly vague and subjective and kind of stupid as this thread has unraveled.

Personally, I don't mind being vague, subjective, and stupid, in fact that's kind of who I am. But I'd rather do it elsewhere than here. There was a great discussion going for awhile that was topical, technical, and focused. But it's increasingly a sprawling mess of dancing about architecture, so to speak. And there are a million other places on the web for that.

What bothers me is that this is a great forum, but this now-pointless and rambling thread is a sticky at the top. New visitors will surely start by reading the last few pages, which are mostly pure junk, thinking that the most recent posts in the "sticky" are the best content.

Time to let this whale die, and let the carcass drift to the ocean floor, and replenish from the bottom, if at all. There is lots more to say and talk about, but not here. At least not for me, thanks.

Last edited by yep; 09-17-2011 at 10:15 PM.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote