View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #100
mgraham
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Modular composition workflow? Sounds good.
Do you have any specs which can describe this in detail? Then we could better tell how it could be possible with Reaper or not.
Ok, as a high-level "user story", I guess what I'd like to do is to be able to sketch out sections of a musical piece very quickly and then assemble these sections into a larger composition. Each section might have a different tempo and time signature.

In a typical pop piece, there might be three sections: "verse", "chorus", "bridge". But in a more complex piece there would be many more sections.

I'd like to be able to create a new section very quickly, and to move very quickly from the overview of the piece into one of the the subsections very quickly.

I'd like to be able to reorder the subsections very quickly, and to duplicate them. I'd like for subsections to be able to overlap. Ideally, I'd also like to be able to have several subsections play at the same time.

I'd also like to be able to temporarily remove sections and then add them back again later (so they're never really permanently gone from the project - just disabled).

I'd like to be able to insert a section into the middle of the project in an arbitrary time signature or tempo and not have it affect the sections that follow it.

I'd like each subproject to be able to use sample-heavy instruments that could take several minutes to load (my test case has about 10 instruments, and takes about 3-4 minutes to load on my laptop).

I'd like those instruments to load only once at the beginning when I open up the main project for the whole piece. After that, I'd like them to stay in memory, so that when I move from subsection to subsection or up to the main project it only takes a couple of seconds to switch context.

It seems like a Reaper's subprojects might be a good match for this use case - which is why I came to this thread.

I've tried three approaches with subprojects so far, and neither has really worked properly. However, I would love to find a way to make Reaper work for what I'm trying to do.
mgraham is offline   Reply With Quote