View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #108
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

A "Help" button is one of the next things on my list.

Anyway, you have to have a .reascale loaded, and not have "Sync with editor" enabled. How to use the buttons:

Quote:
There's now a set of buttons that let you cycle through the modes of a given scale. For non-standard scales that don't have an existing mode in your .reascale, it'll just make up the next step and add a little "+1" or "-1" tag to let you know. I think the buttons should be self-explanatory, but just in case:

Relative shifts both the tonic and the scale: C Major --> D Dorian --> E Phrygian, etc.

Parallel will step through other modes of the current scale without shifting the tonic. i.e. C Major --> C Dorian --> C Phrygian, etc.
Just in case you aren't sure what "Modes" means: You basically take a scale - C Major, for instance - and make a new scale from the same notes. Going from D to D gives you the D Dorian scale, E to E gives you E Phrygian, etc. Because they all have the same notes, they're known as "relative modes" of each other.

Parallel modes are the same thing, but you only change the scale and not the root note.