View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #3221
lb0
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasombre View Post
awesome, thanks a lot for even considering it and eventually putting it in
yeeeey

EDIT: just don't stress yourself, having a healthy dose of spare time is very important.
Ok - I cheated

I started looking into and even coding the Global page - treating it as a separate page not associated with any track - and realized that a strip and page is simply so intertwined with a track - removing the association would have relied on reams of special code to handle this special case. The problem isn't creating the extra code itself - it's simply the unwanted performance effect it may have throughout the code.

So - I thought again - and decided to simply tie the global page - to a special track.

So in order to use the GLOBAL button next to the page buttons - you would need to create in your project a new track and call it __GLOBAL.

That's it. It acts and is like any other track - but you can get to it via clicking on the GLOBAL button from anywhere. Clicking again on the GLOBAL button returns you to the previous place.

I thought about adding restrictions to this track/page - like not allowing FX and STRIPs on it - but thought - why restrict it? It might actually be useful once in a while to allow its use as a normal track.

So it is just like any other track - it even has 4 pages - but only page 1 is usually accessible. There are certain sequences of events that might expose the other pages (reordering tracks in a certain way can do this) - but mainly it is just page 1 that is accessible.

So - if you don't want fx on it - just don't drag any strips in that contain FX. You can copy controls from any other track into it as per the other strips.

So you know how it works - it just has its own button - and this made it very easy to add.

Hope this is suitable.

At the moment - until you create the __GLOBAL track - the GLOBAL button doesn't work. It may actually be neater to hide the GLOBAL button altogether in such cases - but not had time to do that yet.

Let me know of any bugs etc. I know there are a few minor ones when you get access to pages 2-4 of the GLOBAL track which shouldn't happen - but they are under special circumstances - and I'm not overly worried about them at the moment as they shouldn't happen under typical use very often.

Still to add copying tracks/strips and deleting fx plugs...

L.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote