View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #95
dub3000
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by apozaf View Post
no, i'm not trolling, sorry if it seemed like that.
some of my friends are learned audio engineers and i told them bout some opinions here and they said that it is absolute b...shi...t that daws only do math and all sound the same.
no comment on their mixing skills (and i've heard really weird crap come out of the mouths of incredibly talented mixers) but your learned audio engineer friends need to read up on their math. what they're saying might have been partly true more than a decade ago but it's FUD now.

Quote:
well, to be honest i would not hear any difference but if you check rendered mixes (same input, same effects ect.)
exactly

Quote:
and make a checksum of the wavefile there are differences. not that i could hear them (well, i do in some older daws and i am sure saw-mixes have brilliant quality)
can happen due to different WAV file header information (different DAWs pad metadata differently - e.g. track author, ACID looping info etc, this isn't audio data though and won't affect the actual audio being played), or silence at the beginning/end of a track.

Quote:
also "merge" is right in his opening post that in a project daws sound different as it is just a preview, like video in a videocut software.
no, it's not a preview. it's full resolution data, unless you're explicitly turning features down (e.g. in reaper you can run the playback engine with a lower quality resample or time stretch mode for better performance and a higher quality one for rendering, but you can set those to anything you want so it's a bit of a moot point).