View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
audioguy_on_ca
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
Checking your mix in mono these days is not just about checking for mono capability - if you do it right, it will help your stereo mix.

A good stereo mix often sounds like ass in mono - but a great stereo mix still sounds great in mono!

To do it right, you need to downmix to mono, and also listen on a single speaker. (downmixing to mono and listening on 2 speakers just ain't right - your brain is still trying to locate stuff through delays - don't give it the chance to fool you)

Also don't touch your panning before you do this! (you downmix to mono at the master buss instead) You want to try to make some eq, and dynamic adjustments while in mono. If you can get it to work in mono - it'll probably work even better in stereo. You may decide to change some panning after some critical mono listening - no real rules here, you just sort of have to develop your own thing. If you get really good at working this way, you might make a few panning decisions based just on how it works in mono. Playing with the pan knobs while in mono can really change the tone or feel of what you are hearing. I'm not at that point, I just use mono to help me work out things that are competing for the same space in a mix - without leaning on that stereo crutch to help me out.

For example I will always try (operative word "try") to work out the relationship between the kick and the bass in mono - on one speaker - even if they are just panned up the middle anyways. It's just a different way of focusing- forcing your brain to stop trying to figure out "where" and just concentrate on how it sounds.

Or...

If I'm having trouble with the vocal not cutting through that really "awesome" wall of double tracked and hard panned electric guitars and keys, switch into mono and get the balance right. When you switch back, it might fall apart a little, but you'll have a better idea of how to fix the problem.

I don't really think there is a "right" pan law - it's just helpful to be consistent and to know the differences. Even a great sounding Neve and a SSL board will have different pan laws - (not that I've ever mixed on either.. ha ha)

Excellent post, James.
"We're like geeky and shit: I'm hanging out on a message board about a recording program. It's kinda expected to be all up in arms about something as ridiculously abstract as 24->16 bit dithering..." -RPR usr nickm
audioguy_on_ca is offline   Reply With Quote