View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #128
efflux
Human being with feelings

Reaper needs no marketing as is clearly evident because a lot of people are using it. Let the users market it. If Reaper wasn't good this wouldn't work.

The best source to learn Reaper in Kenny Gioia's tutorials at Groove3. You can subscribe for a month for peanuts cost considering the info you get. I think Kenny's tutorials are brilliant. He wastes no time and clearly totally understands the app. I'm actually new to Reaper and I found those tutorials the most helpful I've ever come across.

I haven't delved into the manual much but it looks OK.

However, I think demo songs are useful to quickly explore DAWs capability. They need to be separate download though. This leads to the other point that Reaper's streamlined size is a huge plus and it needs to be kept that way. Basic plugins all seem good to me but we don't need masses of bloat like sample libraries etc.

I would say that Reaper is quite hard to get around at first. For example a lot of the hard wired type buttons and functions in other DAWs have to be added by the user in Reaper. Of course this whole capability of customisation and the huge number of tools and commands possible is great but it is hard to do anything in Reaper at first, especially with MIDI. What the solution to this is I'm not sure. Maybe a better default setup. I'm pretty sure many possible new users turn away too quickly to find an easier to start working DAW and hence end up with a less capable app.

I'm moving from Logic to Reaper at the moment. Getting around Reaper was hard at first. I also tried Studio One and that is very easy even at first. However, going back to work in Logic is seeming like hell now as I learn Reaper.
efflux is offline   Reply With Quote