View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
geo242
Human being with feelings

Default OSX Reaper GUI slower than Windows 7?

I recently switched from a PC to MacBook Pro for all my music production. One of the first things I noticed after opening an existing project on the Mac is that the Reaper GUI doesn't respond as quickly as when running in Windows (compared to my previous machine). So, I installed Windows 7 (64bit) on the MacBook via boot camp to really test this apples to apples (no pun intended). I thought maybe the graphics hardware in the Mac might not have been up to the task of running my 24" external monitor at 1920x1080 in addition to the laptop screen and expected the performance in Windows to be relatively the same as in OSX. But, to my amazement, this exact setup in Windows 7 while running an identical project performed much better than on OSX. (Keep in mind, I am only referring to the responsiveness of the GUI for things like scrolling and zooming the project window.)

All the other parts of Reaper are performing well for me on both Mac and Windows, but this laggy interface makes it feel really clunky and makes me want to go back to Windows, even though I really want it to work on the Mac. Also, it doesn't seem to make any difference when using either the 32bit or 64bit versions of Reaper in either operating system.

System Specs:
2007 MacBook Pro
2.2ghz Core 2 Duo
4GB 800mhz ram
320Gb 7200rpm HD
Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
OSX 10.6.3

I searched the forums for others with the same issue, but couldn't find anything useful.

Is this a known issue? Are my expectations too high for the Mac software? Does anyone else experience this?
geo242 is offline   Reply With Quote