View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #13
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
AAT is pretty amazing but as we mention on the AAT web site it does not convert FX or midi.
AAT will convert practically to/from any format including many native session files.
Unfortunately, we do not yet convert from native Sonar session files.
Normally, a Sonar user would export an OMF and we would convert that
BUT
Sonar's OMF export not only contravenes the OMF specification and allows stereo media to be referenced but it pretty much only contains the absolute basics.
So at this stage until we start looking at converting from native Sonar session files I would recommend exporting stems rather than spend money purchasing AAT for just this function. If you had other formats to convert from/to then that would be a different thing and AAT would probably be a good buy.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that AAT might do some magic reading of the project files and create a compatible project file for the target DAW.

Just using Reaper's included virtual ASIO driver, you can set Sonar to use "ReaRoute" on individual channels to send audio directly out of Sonar to individual tracks in Reaper, in one real time playback, and since it's not really going through a D/A - A/D conversion, lose no quality in the process.

When I did it, I deleted all my plugins in Sonar right before sending, and then added them all back in Reaper right after the audio transfer. I also went one more level and used the virtual midi port MidiOx in both Sonar and Reaper and snagged all the individual tracks of midi at the same time, adding the VSTi plugins back in Reaper after the transfer.

One additional thing was I slaved Reaper to Sonar's clock, so they were sync'd up timing wise. I'd press record in Reaper with 20-30 audio and midi tracks in record ready, and then pressing play in Sonar would start both DAWs running.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote