View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 05:15 AM   #30
wilson schulbus
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
It's the XR18 channel gain settings that determine the actual levels hitting Reaper (at least, by default). If your individual xr18 channel gains are set to give about -18dB from your sources then you should be good to go for both the recording and your house mix. You can always turn your Main LR fader and/or the PA and monitors up if you have to reduce the channel gains on your current setup! The metering on the XR18 is basic, I agree, but the first yellow mark on the meters is about right.

To hear the recordings back on the laptop is a little trickier and I wouldn't normally bother with that at a gig. As long as you've got the levels right and you can see decent waveforms on all the recorded tracks that should be fine. You can review them later. If you still interested then, in summary, you need to set the hardware output of a recorded track in reaper to an xr18 output channel, then on that same channel on the xr18 change the source from analog to USB.
I must run my gains hot because in looking at them from out last few shows I have vocals set from +26 to +28, guitars at +23 to +29, Bass +25 and that has me questioning my methods and understanding of channel gain setting on the XR18. Analog mixers were always around 0db as I recall and easy to read on the meters. But in trying to sort through my Reaper learning I think I read somewhere that input gain setting on digital products are not the same. Time to review that as well I guess.
wilson schulbus is offline   Reply With Quote