View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings

VU meters were a compromise with limitations due to it's mechanical design. It was designed to give an indication of loudness while being fast enough to also give some indication of the peaks. From what I remember, there was an "overshoot" so they could show higher than reality under some conditions. It was good for analog recording, and most important it was a standard.

With digital recording, peaks are the most important thing because you need to avoid clipping. Otherwise digital levels are not that critical and meters really aren't that important unless you are working with live audio.

If you are working live, it's probably best to have peak and LUFS meters (or SPL meters).

If you are recording/mixing you can use a loudness analyzer which gives you a more accurate & reliable result compared to watching a meter.

Quote:
What's weird to me is that the ballistics on the VUMT meter and the Waves VU meter are completely different even when both are set to 300 ms / 300 ms.
I don't know anything about the VUMT meter but it should be easy to digitally simulate the inertia and other characteristics of a real VU meter (if you wanted to).
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote