Originally Posted by sub26nico View Post
My point of view is there is a lot of good lv2 plugins,
atm, the only solution to use them in Reaper is Carla, and it's very
heavy cpu-usage on big session. So, Reaplugs and JS are good
alternative, and with some LinuxVST (zamplugins, UHE, ZynAddSubFx,
Helm, OvertoneDSP and more), it's fine. You're right, it misses Kontakt,
and Melodyne too (I never used Autotune). So, it's seems
simpler for me that one or two team's devs do the job for Linux than
make a bridge which maybe will not work for all VST.
And, the big mistake Daws-developers made porting their Daw for Linux
(Bitwig, Tracktion) is the non-integration of LV2, imho.
Once more, I can't understand the interest of using Windows VST on Linux,
it works nicely on Windows. Linux misses Kontakt, or a sampler as good,
but running Windows VST is not a safe way for long term.
I think the main reason is that lv2 support is something that Bitwig etc were not coded for and to include support for lv2 takes more work and the Bitwig devs probably have a lot of things to work on like new features and releases etc.

Ardour has had a lot of time to support lv2 and it started on Linux, but Ardour took ages as far as I know to support Linux vst's and they still don't seem to support drag and drop with Linux vst's.

NI's Kontakt and FM8 run very well with vst bridges with Linux Reaper etc believe it or not.

In the Windows thread there is a test I did with around 20 instances of FM8 using LinVst and Wine and a buffer size of 32 samples with a M-Audio pci card on a quad core with no hassles.

20 instances of NI's FM8 and getting 1.3ms latency at 48000Hz/32 samples and 0.6ms at 96000Hz/32 samples with no xruns with Ubuntu Studio 16.10 with the real time kernel and LinVst.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193761

The trouble with Kontakt was the reg which NI changed to Native Access and that wouldn't work because of a wine bug (that I've just detailed and hopefully fixed) but other than that Kontakt and other NI plugins run great with LinVst (LinVst is what I've tested Kontakt with, I don't know about the other windows vst bridges).

The main problem with windows vst's at the moment are the plugins that use the d2d1 dll which is not yet complete in wine but will be one day.

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-08-2018 at 09:09 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote