View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 11:58 PM   #23
technogremlin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
... how much work is involved....the latter, if a lot, means nope.
No, it means that available time is always finite and how that resource is spend is obviously subject to a selection process. It has nothing to do with how much time is needed but everything with the needed amount of time in respect to what it will deliver. It's called the 'law of diminishing returns'.

I'm a software dev myself, and it always seems strange to me how (most) people think that if we need this or that functionality in software, it either takes no time at all to implement (we software devs just wave our magic wand) or that there is always enough man-hours available to do it (because the dev first developed a time machine before 'this' product).

Funny enough this notion seems to only apply to software, every other technology we understand that making something takes (sometimes a lot of) time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
when your product or service touches so many people who rely on it and usually want the best for it in terms of features, there should be more consideration of those needs.
WHY?

When you buy a product, you buy it in the state it is right then and there. You don't buy some kind of right to the dev taking into consideration everything you want it to be AFTER you have bought it. If, at any point in time, you decide to buy a product, you buy it because it works for you. If it doesn't work for you then why would you buy it. To buy it because you think the dev will add stuff in the (near) future that will make it work for you is silly because you have no assurance the dev will do that, other then your unfounded belief the dev will do so because 'they should take my needs into consideration'.

When I bought reaper (some 10 years ago), I bought it because it would work for me back then. It still does but I've got a whole lot of additional features over time that makes working with reaper even more fun then it did back then. I'm simply thankful that Justin is still developing reaper and keeps making it better. Do I feel some need for him doing that for me as a customer... absolutely not. As a software dev I do get that feature requests can make a product better (or worse, that happens too), but that does not mean that reaper in its current state shouldn't cater for your needs already, or else why use it at all.

[/rant]
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote