View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #13
Voyage Audio
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
It's great to have you here! I'm going to have to look more into this. I'm on the lookout for an Ambisonic mic and have been keenly investigating the Rode SF1 up to this point. Your mic, being second order, is somewhat compelling at the moment though.
It probably will depend on what you want to use the microphone for! What is the application?

I can't speak specifically to the Rode NT-SF1, however when comparing the Sennheiser Ambeo to our 2nd Order Mic, the spatial resolution, pattern decoding, etc will be much improved.

You also don't have to worry about matching gains across mic preamp channels (which could potentially harm your image) since that is taken into account with Spatial Mic.

The cost of the analog mic + cabling + matched preamps + recorder, if you don't already have these pieces, could push the cost of the analog solution much higher.

Finally, if I have to record with the Ambeo or other analog ambisonic mic, it's just such a pain to quickly setup and capture with all the cabling and gain matching as compared to one cable USB to a mobile device!

Last edited by Voyage Audio; 02-17-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Voyage Audio is offline   Reply With Quote