View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
MikeVB
Human being with feelings

This reminds me of when an ex and I took one of those touristy cooking classes in New Orleans about 12 years ago (her idea, not mine). They have you for about 2 hours and you make a few classics, and eat it afterward. The chef was demonstrating a gumbo, and remarked what the traditional ingredients were, but made a special point to say we could use those, or put in whatever food we'd like.

On cue, some wag in the back then asked, "Can you put sardines in it?" The chef said, "Uh...do you LIKE sardines?" And the guy replied, "Yes, uh/huh." The chef then shrugged his shoulders as if to say, "well, OK then..." Then I swear, about 3 minutes later, somebody else said something like, "Can you put [I dunno what he said exactly but something weird too] peanut butter in it?" The chef again asked, "Well, do you LIKE peanut butter." Again the same response and the chef again looked incredulously at this next person indicating that same response. I swear I could've slapped these people.

It's the same thing with anything in music, and I know I'm not saying anything you don't know; but it bears repeating. If you like a little, or a lot of reverb, or distortion, or compression, et al. -- and it's ultimately meant to suit YOU for YOUR enjoyment -- then YES, put as many, er, sardines in it as you'd like!
MikeVB is offline   Reply With Quote