View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #89
norbury brook
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
A few more questions for ya'll...

I'm listening to a session right now that I just ported from PT to REAPER using AATranslater. There are no plugs in this session, it's a fresh port. I'm noticing that when I turn up the playback buffer to anything above 512, I start hearing pops/crackles. The higher it goes, the more pops and crackles. Now this is a first for me... usually it was the opposite, the lower the playback buffer, the more pops. Can someone explain if this is normal, and if it is, why is it happening? (even if it isn't normal, if you have ideas I'm all ears)

I was reading the RME HDSPe manual, and it mentions many many times how to let the HDSPe be the master clock. In my scenario, I'd ALWAYS want to use the Lynx for clocking correct? Or in otherwords, the internal clock of the Aurora, opposed to clocking external to the HDSPe. That is my assumption, moreso after reading the post by NightScope.

I think I understand most of the button i/o on the front of the Aurora, but a couple, namely, the Meter and AES MODE buttons, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

For example, with Digital selected under Meter, if I press the TRIM/AES MODE button once, the DUAL WIRE IN lights up, and my sound only comes out of the left monitor. Pressing the button again, the DUAL WIRE OUT lights up, and sound comes out both monitors again. Pressing it again, lights up both, and sound comes out only the left monitor again. And finally pressing it again selects none, and sound comes out both speakers.

So what is the purpose of that switch?

And what about the Analog TRIM settings? When would I want to have +4dBu and -10dBV?

And finally... as for selecting Sample Rates. There are so many places I can set the sample rate.

For example:
-On the Aurora front i/o.
-In the HammerFall DSP settings by activating DDS. (this is for video projects mostly? Although it mentioned it could be use for creative control, ie. to change the pitch of the whole project)
-In REAPER under Audio>Device>Request Sample Rate. (btw, does checking this change the sample rate of the Aurora? What does it do exactly.. have always been a little hazy regarding this)
-Project Settings>Audio Settings>Project Sample Rate. There's a checkbox and a field, just like under Audio>Device.

So there are at least 4 places to change the sample rate and I'm not sure which takes precedence over the other.

There's one on the converter, on the soundcard, and two in the software(REAPER).

What's the standard practice? To adjust all sample rates to the session sample rate I'm guessing? I remember with the 002, there was no button to set the sample rate, it just matched to the session.

Finally, what about for normal computer use.. what sample rate should I use? Say if I'm listening to Pandora radio through my browser... I'm guessing I just have to match my sample rate to whatever the source is? So if I'm watching a DVD, I'd set it to 48k? And if I'm listening to mp3s.. then take it down to 44.1k?

I haven't even begun reading the section on TotalMix. Will do that now... probably have more questions too...
What ever card is in your computer i.e. the ASIO driver chosen in Reaper should be your master,that way whatever sample rate you use it will change accordingly and your external AD/DA will switch.If you save your sample rate with your project it will open correctly and your asio diver will change the rate on your card,if it's different.

MC