View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #9
DarkStar
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post
DarkStar, many thanks.

However, something confuses me regarding a portion that I read, and I ask that you please excuse my density (I consider myself pretty intelligent, but THIS kind of stuff - I'm finding - seems a bit 'out there' ). What I was making reference to is the following:
Within the VSTi, load your instruments and set the routing for each one - receiving MIDI on a particular MIDI channel AND sending its audio to a particular audio output pair; depending on the VSTi you may need to do some additional configuration work within the VSTi itself (e.g. to create / enable the output channels).

By that, I am assuming that none of the routing is automatic. So, if I wished to ave a 16-track template, I would have to go in and set each of the 16 channels to their respective tracks, in my DAW? And, is that to mean that I would have to change the channels on my controller (m-audio keystation 49e) also, per each track?

The light bulb will illuminate, shortly. I just KNOW it .
Not quite - with the steps I suggested all the routing in Reaper is fine. But in SampleTank you need to set the routing for each instrument slot. Have a look at (complete with typo):

Please note that I Muted the Acoustic Bass in Part #2, add Cranberry Sauce to Part #13 and changed its MIDI channel to 2 and audio out to 3+4.

Your MIDI keyboard controller probably send notes on only 1 MIDI channel at a time. To play a different instrument you would need to change the channel on the controller. Or in Reaper's Input:MIDI settings, map the input to the desired MIDI channel.