View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #8
random_id
Human being with feelings

I don't want to sidetrack the original question by Bobflip, but here is what I have been thinking about:

My T-Chain plugin loads various plugin modules, each with different assets (due to 3d lighting). The current size of all of my pngs are around 30MB, but I am continuing to add more. The compiled binaries are about 30MB for VST/VST3, and about 100MB for AAX. Most of my other plugins are about 1/8th the size. The installers for T-Chain are up to 350MB, with all compression options turned on.

I would like to reduce the installer size. I guess I could start splitting up the installers by 32 and 64 bit versions, and/or plugin formats. My long-term concern would be if I continue to add assets, at what point does it become a problem within the DAW. I guess it makes more sense to share the assets in RAM than have each plugin instance consume more memory for bitmaps. That could get ugly.

Going back to the original question by Bobflip, I think it would be really cool to have users create bitmaps for plugins, and use something like an XML file to place the items. Letting people completely skin the plugins would be a nice feature.