View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #347
Xaos
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
It's called a knob stack.
They have been available since Reaper v4 and many themes use these.
The Sidecar layout has a compound knob stack with the Width knob sitting underneath the Pan knob.
The Width knob has an expanding circle in the center that expands or compresses as you turn the knob.
A similar method is used in the Stockholm layouts.

You can learn a lot simply by looking a theme's image files.
Yea, I learned a LOT going through Imperial. However, I don't see how you can make a knob stack rotate. I see the layered images, but nothing that would allow the opposite end of the level indicator to move. Maybe it's because the knob stacks I was looking at included the area around the knob. I'll poke around a little more and see what I can learn.

I just got my head wrapped around the very basics of how the graphics are named and stored, Pink, what is controlled by the resources, what can be edited manually in the rtconfig.txt file and what the built in Theme editor can do.

I wish they would make things a little easier for theming. I put in feature requests for filters in the Theme element finder and the Theme development tweaker. Also asked that when the Theme element finder is open, clicking on a resource would show it in the list. It's kind of tricky figuring out what something is called when you're first getting started. If I knew what it was, I wouldn't really need the finder anyway, right? Kind of a worthless dialog window as it is now. It's kind of bass-ackwards, if you ask me.

Modding someone else's theme is tricky, too. Without the original Photoshop files, it can be a pixel-by-pixel affair. Usually. I would work at 2–4 times the final image size so that it gets nicely anti-aliased when you size it down to the final size. The text and shadows in the .png files for Imperial are pretty messy. I did a lot of cleanup work to make them smoother and more legible. WT is a god, don't get me wrong. But the text could use a little work. The difference after some cleanup work was dramatic. So far, I've only done it for the parts of the theme that I wanted to modify. It's a daunting idea to think about going in and making the whole thing consistent so that it's share-worthy! Especially since I have to work lying down on a 13" MacBook Air sharing the screen on my old G5 that has Photoshop CS4 on it! I've got to be insane for even trying, but it's been 10 years since I worked professionally in Photoshop, but I worked with it from v2 through CS4, so it is a lot of fun to re-learn what I used to do so automatically. WT inspired me tremendously.